Saturday 23 February 2008

A peaceful world via the internet

I'm kind of wondering... as the world becomes more connected is it possible for wars - at least global ones - to be a more difficult thing to start.  I personally work with people here in the UK, various places in Russia, the USA, Germany, The Philippines, China and other places across the globe.  My thought process at the moment is that if  everyone could start communicating, and really making friends with people from around the world then we see these people as real people and therefore its much more difficult to treat them as an abstract entity.  Recently I had the pleasure of some company with someone from a different country and I was surprised, and a little disturbed, with their attitude towards making their country great and powerful. My own feeling is that we're all people, we're all connected and I don't like aggressive stances - it's just such a negative force.  I consider myself to be British, but I consider myself to be human first and foremost and that the other people I meet are also. They're real people with real fears, aspirations, love and all the other human emotions that I have - on an individual level this is always the way, yet governments and politics tend to intervene and we find ourselves sometimes pitted against each other.  I feel that the person who manages to create something online which connects everyone and makes us all realise that everyone is the same as us, regardless of race, colour or nationality, will be someone who should win a peace prize.

What do you think?

No comments: